Decorating Chicks with Lines, Dots, and PatternsStraight and wavy lines, horizontal and vertical, dots, making patterns with colors and shapes were the focus of this fun painting chicks on the grass activity. We visited a chicken coop, reviewed the chicken life cycle, and enjoyed this collaborative painting project.
Chicks on Grass ReviewWe made some fun observations at the chicken coop. Hens looked so happy walking around on the grass. The rooster greeted us with his load "Hello". That was such an inspiration for our chicken art activities!
Chicken life cycle
Chicken Life Cycle Free Printables from Natural Beach Living. These are fun hands-on activities using free printables and small world figures.
Life Cycle of a Chicken from I Heart Crafty Things. Beautiful ideas will help building a life cycle in the egg together!
5 Baby Chick Songs and Chants from Teaching Mama. Fun songs will engage kids in rhyming and playing with chicks.
Chicks Collaborative Painting Project, Activity 1Green, yellow, and blue tempera paint was chosen to paint the landscape. This is a great easy activity for practicing short strokes.
Chicks Collaborative Painting Project, Activity 2For this activities we used:
- Yellow chicks silhouettes,
- tempera paints with glitter mixed in,
- small paint brushes and q-tips,
- school glue and a brush for glue,
- palette for working on the easel.
Chicks Collaborative Painting Project, Activity 3The challenge: decorate chick's neck, wing, tail, head by creating patterns with dots and lines.
These chicks are busy with different types of lines and dots.
- Q-tips: we made patterns of dots using Q-tips and two colors of paint.
- Dabbing brush: we practiced dabbing brush to make the shortest strokes.
- Straight lines and wavy lines using paint brush is a skill to practice. The slow motion of the hand produces the thicker line. This wasn't explained, rather given an opportunity to explore.
- Negative space: the space in between the lines was filled with a row of dots or by dabbing paint brush. The negative space was finally found during this activity - a great exploration!
I am happy with the discoveries that were made during this project! During this activity, we observed each space separately and discussed the types of lines that would fit in each given space. Wavy lines were new so we painted them together. Negative spaces were found and filled with dots at the end of the activity.
You are welcome to follow us: