Make Fun Friends for Beekle Matching Colors and ShapesMy Firefly loves playing and building with shapes recently. Today she got a game of making friends for Beekle, a wonderful unimaginary friend! Caldecott Medal Books is a theme for May at Poppins Book Nook. You can find our previous Poppins Book Nook activities here: Farm Animals Dramatic Play with Ten Red Apples.
Caldecott Medal Books"The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend" by Dan Santat was our book of the month. Amazon affiliate link: The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend.
Randolph J. Caldecott was the 19th century English illustrator. It was decided to make a medal in his honor. The medal is awarded to the best artist - illustrator of a children's book. Since 1937, one book a year is awarded the Caldecott medal.
2015 Medal winner is "The Adventures of Beekle", a wonderful book written and illustrated by Dan Santat. Beekle is a funny white creature with a tiny golden crown on his head. He is waiting patiently for his best friend to imagine and find him. But nobody could imagine him! Is he courageous enough to go looking for his best friend?
Colors, Shapes, and Tables Preschool GamesWe made our own little games inspired by this beautiful book!
The rules are flexible and can be made together depending on the interests and the previous experience.
Matching and sorting colors and shapes
- Make funny friends matching the same shape or color of the head and body.
- Make funny friends matching the same shape and color.
- Follow your partners description to make his friend. Ex, "My friend has a yellow circle for the body and a blue triangle for his head." Then switch turns.
- Can you make a friend for the yellow creature out of the same shapes as he is?
Playing with vocabulary: colors and shapes
- Describe a creature above/ below the purple friend.
- Who is standing before/ after the brown friend?
- Who is standing in between green and pink friends?
Playing with the table: colors and shapesThe activity is to practice finding rows and columns in the given table and finding the shapes and colors at the given location.
- Which creatures live in the first row? Second? Third?
- Name all the creatures in the first column. Second. Third.
- Can you make all the orange friends living in the first column?
- All the square friends want to live in the bottom row. Can you help them?
- Who lives in the second column and the third row?
- Where does the yellow friend live?
Caldecott Medal Books - the Theme for May at PBNIt's time for the Poppins Book Nook - a book club that goes live on the last Monday of each months.
You can find our previous Poppins Book Nook books and activities here: Poppins Book Nook.
Enchanted Homeschooling Mom - 3 Dinosaurs - ABC Creative Learning - As We Walk Along the Road - Brain Power Boy - Chestnut Grove Academy - Embracing Destiny - Every Bed of Roses - Farm Fresh Adventures - Growing in God's Grace - Kathys Cluttered Mind - My Bright Firefly - Peakle Pie - Preschool Powol Packets - Pray Species - SAHM I am - Stir The Wonder - Sunny Day Family - Sweet Silly Sara - Teach Beside Me - To the Moon and Back - Tots and Me - Tree Valley Academy - Witty Hoots
You are very welcome to follow us here: